We were travelling along SCTEX, one of the expressways in Luzon of the Philippines, at a speed of about a hundred kilometers per hour when I took this picture of a bird flying to the opposite direction. In capturing this photo, I had set my gear to use Back Button Focus and set the AF operation to AI Servo (or continuous focus).
What is Back Button Focus? In “normal mode”, DSLRs focus when you half-press the shutter and take the picture when you completely press the shutter. The problem with this mode is that it only works for still or stationary subjects. When the subject moves out of focus, there you go… You get a blur! Even with a high shutter speed, you may still get a blur if the subject moves out of the area where your gear had initially focused. And you may have to refocus and half-press the shutter again which by the time you’re able to do this, the subject has gone out of your sight.
This is where the BBF will come in handy, together with continuous focus (AI Servo in Canon). Depending on the brand and model of your gear, it may already have a dedicated BBF button or you can set a button, like the Exposure Lock, as the BBF.
The BBF, together with AI Servo, will allow you to keep the center of focus on a moving object without half-pressing the shutter. Technically, you have two buttons in play, the BBF (using your thumb) to focus and the shutter (using your index finger), to take pictures. What does that mean? You can press and hold the BBF to retain focus on a moving object and just press the shutter to take pictures anytime without the shutter doing a “focus and refocus”.
Just some fair warning, this technique takes some practice before you can reap the rewards…! 🙂
It depends… One’s yawn can have a bad breath while others may have grizzly hairs stuck between their teeth as leftovers of a carnivore’s meal!
Zoobic Safari is one tourist attraction you will find at Subic Bay Freeport’s Forest Adventure. Subic Bay was a former US Naval Base located in Olongapo, Zambales. After the Americans withdrew their naval forces in Subic Bay in 1991 after the expiration of the Military Bases Agreement, the area was converted into a tourist spot with hotels, casinos, golf courses, and other attractions and theme parks. You can check out more details about the US Naval Base formerly located at Subic Bay through this site: Wikipedia US Naval Base Subic Bay.
Embracing a twenty five-hectare land, local and foreign guests can expect an astonishing sight of diverse exotic animals roaming and frolicking in their simulated natural habitat at Zoobic Safari. It features a wide range of habitats present in the forest due to the terrain, presence of streams, and fringing grasslands. These represent the major habitats for varied exotic animals featured in Zoobic Safari Adventure Park.
Zoobic Safari has the following attractions to look forward to, namely:
- Zoobic Park is a two-hectare forest wherein guests will have a mini-trekking experience to see exotic, wild and semi-domesticated animals in their simulated natural habitat. Have the wonderful chance to pet and feed these wonderful animals – parakeets, bearcats, camels to name a few.
- Savannah a sanctuary of the wild that features a wide range of ostriches, potbellies, wild boars, and guinea fowls.
- Serpentarium Get inside an old ammunition bunker where you will see a showcase of various species of reptiles like snakes, lizards and turtles.
- Rodent World Features an amazing collection of rodents. Be amazed in Mice Surprise area and you may even see some guinea pigs being groomed in the Rodent Salon.
- Animal MuZOOeum A rare collection of real stuffed animals, bone collections and preserved animal skin.
- Close Encounter A facility that allows one to take a close look at our Siberian-Bengal tigers only 2 feet away!
- Tiger Safari a Hold on to your seats as you enter a two-hectare enclosed area aboard our customized Safari Jeep and experience the thrill of being chased by full-grown tigers on the loose!
- Bird Walk Experience feeding the parakeets/love birds on the palm of your hand. Lovely!
- Aetas’ Trail Have a glimpse of the beauty of our Native Aeta Brothers’ culture as they perform some of their traditional dances.
- Croco loco Have the chance to feed our crocodiles! Just dangle a chicken tied to a bamboo pole and see how high they can jump to get your treat.
- Zoobic Cave and Forbidden Cave Bunkers used by the Americans before which were converted to house preserved/stuffed animals, animal robotics and an array of surprises. Watch out what you’ll see as you walk through the Forbidden Cave’s suspension bridges!
Here are some of the pictures I took when my family and I visited Zoobic Safari about a week ago. It was really Fun!
Bloodshot eyes, let’s eat the dead!
According to the Chinese lunar calendar, the year of the Red Monkey will start on Feb. 4, 2016, though the Chinese new year is on Feb. 8, 2016. Why is the monkey red for 2016? Don’t ask me, I’m not an expert in Chinese zodiac… 🙂
But no offense to those who rely on Chinese zodiac for their fortune, I don’t see how a monkey, in particular a red monkey, for example, can influence a person’s life. Can a monkeying monkey monkey around and just monkey one’s future?
… These are carved pieces of wood which you join together to form something. It’s really like a puzzle which you need to guess where a piece should go to. I think it took my daughter several days to have these four pieces assembled.